Monday, February 21, 2011

Cheese Tortellini Soup for the Soul


Cheese Tortellini Soup:  Makes 6-8 bowls of soup.

I had the pleasure of eating Cheese Tortellini Soup a few years ago at an Italian family dinner. I took a liking to it immediately. I didn't ask for the recipe because I thought I could figure it out for myself. It took a few tries but I finally got it just the way I like it.

For this recipe you will need:

Half of 1 medium to large white onion
3/4 of a small bag of baby carrots, sliced
3/4 of a head of celery(6-7 stalks), sliced - I cut each stalk in half to get smaller slices
3-5 heaping tablespoons of chicken broth, powdered - I use Loney's chicken broth in powder form
2 cups of frozen cheese tortellini
2 tablespoons of canola or another type of oil
Pepper
Water
1 large soup pot - I use a stainless steel one but you can use non-sick as well

Cooking directions.

It is best if you chop and slice all of your vegetables in advance. I find that frying your vegetables in the soup pot on the stove top gives the soup more flavor than just boiling them in the soup.

Chop up 1/2 of the onion and cook at medium low to medium in your soup pot with some oil for a few minutes while stirring to prevent onions from turning brown. Cook until onions have softened and are slightly yellow. About 2 minutes. Add sliced celery to onions and keep at same temperature. Stir occasionally. After a 2-3 minutes and the carrots. Keep cooking for 1 -2 minutes and then add your water. I fill up the pot to about 2 inches from the top. Add about 3 heaping tablespoons of powdered chicken broth and some pepper. Bring to a boil on high and then reduce heat slightly. Boil for 15 minutes. Add cheese tortellini. I add a bit more than 2 cups because I like a hearty soup. Boil for another 12-15 minutes. Adjust seasoning.

Serve parmesan cheese with this soup. I sprinkle a bit in my bowl and it is delicious. DO NOT ADD PARMESAN CHEESE DIRECTLY TO MAIN SOUP POT.

*NOTE: Keep in mind that frozen cheese tortellini is salted so it is best to under season with the quantity of broth and adjust it when the soup is done.

Feel free to adjust quantities depending on the size of your pot and how many portions you wish to have. You can also add leftover cooked chicken at the same time as the broth/stock. Don't want to add meat? No problem. You can even replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock. Someone even told me she added garlic and beans to the soup so you see it's pretty versatile.

3 comments: